From the State’s Attorney’s Office to the largest corporate law firms, we have handled the toughest white-collar cases: fraud, racketeering, theft. We’ve done it in jury and bench trials, as prosecutors and defense lawyers. Our track record includes hundreds of bench and jury trials taken to verdict – many of them Class X and Super Class X felonies.
Because we have a reputation as tough litigators, we are often able to negotiate pre-indictment or pre-trial settlements for our clients that avoid criminal sanctions. If that’s not possible, we fight hard for your interests at trial. There isn’t much we haven’t seen – and been successful at.
On the defense side:
- We were local counsel for health care providers in a multi-billion dollar RICO, fraud and insurance recovery lawsuit against the tobacco industry.
- We defended the second-largest payday lender in Illinois against multi-million dollar allegations of fraud and deception.
We excel at sensitive investigations, where our record includes:
- Serving special investigator for several local cities and towns with the responsibility of investigating allegations of racial profiling made against suburban police departments.
- Handling things for a local suburb for the establishment of a land-based casino complex.
Business plaintiffs turn to us for help with urgent problems, like:
- Handling a $3.5 million “usurpation of opportunity” controversy involving one-time partners in a “Fortune 100” corporation.
- Prosecuting claims in the Circuit Court of Cook County, Illinois, for violation of a non-solicitation agreement made as a part of the sale of a business, and for alleged usurpation of a business opportunity by a corporate executive prior to his termination.
- Representing a client in the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois in an action claiming breach of a guaranty of corporate obligations.
We mount an effective white-collar defense by using skills honed in criminal prosecution of:
Although trial practice is our focus we also can pursue alternative dispute resolution when it is in our clients’ advantage. For example, we prosecuted a claim in arbitration with the American Arbitration Association by the founders of a high tech research start-up, which arose from their termination and violation of employment agreements.
- A high-ranking member of the Chicago Board of Education for theft and tax fraud.
- A local steel company in a multi-million dollar fraud against the U.S. Navy.
- A 401(k) trustee who stole half a million dollars.
- An accountant who defrauded a major aeronautic supply company of nearly $2 million.
- Owners of companies who bribed public officials to secure government contracts.