READY FOR TRIAL IN HIGH STAKE CASES
From the State’s Attorney’s Office to the largest corporate law firms, we have handled the toughest white-collar cases: fraud, racketeering, theft. We’ve done it in jury and bench trials, as prosecutors and defense lawyers. Our track record includes hundreds of bench and jury trials taken to verdict – many of them Class X and Super Class X felonies.
Because we have a reputation as tough litigators, we are often able to negotiate pre-indictment or pre-trial settlements for our clients that avoid criminal sanctions. If that’s not possible, we fight hard for your interests at trial. There isn’t much we haven’t seen – and been successful at.
On the defense side:
- We were local counsel for health care providers in a multi-billion dollar RICO, fraud and insurance recovery lawsuit against the tobacco industry.
- We defended the second-largest payday lender in Illinois against multi-million dollar allegations of fraud and deception.
We excel at sensitive investigations, where our record includes:
- Serving as special investigator for several local cities and towns with the responsibility of investigating allegations of racial profiling made against suburban police departments.
- Handling matters for a local suburb for the establishment of a land-based casino complex.
Business plaintiffs turn to us for help with urgent problems, like:
- Handling a $3.5 million “usurpation of opportunity” controversy involving one-time partners in a “Fortune 100” corporation.
- Prosecuting claims in the Circuit Court of Cook County, Illinois, for violation of a non-solicitation agreement made as a part of the sale of a business, and for alleged usurpation of a business opportunity by a corporate executive prior to his termination.
- Representing a client in the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois in an action claiming breach of a guaranty of corporate obligations.
We mount an effective white-collar defense by using skills honed in criminal prosecutions of:
- A high-ranking member of the Chicago Board of Education for theft and tax fraud.
- A local steel company in a multi-million dollar fraud against the U.S. Navy.
- A 401(k) trustee who stole half a million dollars.
- An accountant who defrauded a major aeronautic supply company of nearly $2 million.
- Owners of companies who bribed public officials to secure government contracts.
Although trial practice is our focus, we also can pursue alternative dispute resolution when it is in our clients’ advantage. For example, we prosecuted a claim in arbitration with the American Arbitration Association by the founders of a high tech research start-up, which arose from their termination and violation of employment agreements.